Skip to content ↓

Positive Learning, Positive Life


Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Information Report

The Livity School Is a Primary Special School (3-11). 

This school educates pupils with: -

  • Pupils with Severe Cognition and Learning Difficulties
  • Pupils with Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties
  • Pupils with Complex Medical Needs

As well as Severe Cognition and Learning Difficulties, many pupils have Additional Disabilities including: -

  • Sensory Impairments
  • Autism / Communication and Interaction Difficulties
  • Physical Disabilities
  • Epilepsy
  • Other Medical Needs

Any Associated Behavioural needs are addressed by the school in a positive way

Livity means Living Life Positively, which is reflected in the ethos and values of the school.

“Positive Learning Positive Life”

The Livity is a state of the art purpose built School which incorporates 11 classrooms, 2 sensory rooms, 2 soft play rooms, a large hall, a studio for physical activities, 2 play areas, ICT room, Food Technology room, Art and DT room and a small Hydrotherapy pool.  The majority of classrooms have sensory areas and share access to small outdoor terraces.  The School is fully accessible and has 3 lifts, an elevated corridor as well as changing areas and office and meeting room space.

Admissions are made via the Local Authority SEN department.

All Lambeth maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with a Special Educational Need/s and or Disabilities being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible, where families want this to happen.

The information below details the offer within the school and ways in which parents, children and young people may access the support required.


The whole school staff and Multidisciplinary health team work with pupils with Special Educational Needs

Headteacher and Deputy Headteacher

is responsible for:

  • Making sure that the school has an up to date SEND Policy which is followed by all staff.
  • Making sure that the school has appropriate provision and has made necessary adaptations to meet the needs of all children in the school
  • Making sure that the school’s funding is appropriately spent.
  • Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEN and/or disabilities.
  • Making sure that the school’s curriculum is appropriate to meet the needs of pupils with SEND.
  • Making sure that all children have access to good/outstanding teaching and that the curriculum is adapted to meet your child’s individual needs  (known as differentiation).
  • Monitoring the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need with the class and multidisciplinary team.
  • Making sure that all members of staff working with your child in school are aware of your child’s individual needs and/or conditions and what specific adjustments need to be made to enable them to be included and make progress.
  • Making sure that all staff working with your child in school are supported in delivering the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.
  • Making sure that all staff working with your child in school are trained in any health programmes / care plans required.
  • Coordinating all the other people who come into school to help support pupils and who may input into your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology Physiotherapist Occupational therapist etc.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help your child (and other pupils with similar SEND in the school) to achieve their potential.
  • Supporting your child’s class teacher to write Individual Education Plans (IEP) that specify the targets set for your child to achieve.
  • Preparing an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) where needed.
  • Organising training for staff so they are aware and confident about how to meet the needs of your child and others within our school including training in different teaching strategies, appropriate to meet the differing needs.
  • Ensuring that all necessary pupils plans are in place and reviewed including their EHCP and IEP.

Class/subject teacher

is responsible for:

  • Writing Individual Education Plans (IEP), and sharing and reviewing these with parents termly and planning for the next term
  • Making themselves and their class staff fully aware of the needs of all the pupils in their class.
  • Coordinating all the day to day support for the children with Special Educational Needs and or Disabilities (SEND), to make sure all the children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Making sure that they use strategies and interventions which will best meet the individual needs with in their class
  • Making sure that you are:
    • Fully involved in supporting your child’s learning.
    • Kept informed about the support your child is receiving.
    • Fully Involved in reviewing how they are progressing.
    • Fully involved planning your child’s support.
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc.

Teaching Assistants( TA’s)

Work in each class and some may have 1:1 responsibilities for identified pupils some may be specialist in a particular type of support or intervention.

are responsible for:

  • working within classes, alongside and at the direction of the class teacher to offer the support the children require to access their education throughout the day. 
  • supporting pupil’s personal care needs.
  • carrying through a variety of educational, physical or medical needs, e.g. for example some TAs are trained to administer a gastrostomy feed, or to use specialist Physiotherapy equipment with a child, others are trained in PEC’s communication.
  • with the class teacher  taking responsibility for providing parents/carers with daily information. 

The Governing Body

Is responsible for:

  • the day-to-day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children’s SEND.
  • delegating this responsibility to the Head teacher and class/subject teachers but are still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met and that they make the best possible progress.
  • making sure that they are kept up to date about all issues in the school relating to SEND.

Who to go to for information

Should you require specific information on your child’s progress towards their educational targets, please request a discussion with your child’s class teacher. A child may receive support from a number of adults, and a conversation with the class teacher will give you a fuller picture than may be obtained from any single supporting adult.

Should you require any information about the provision being given to your child please ask to speak to the Head teacher.

If you wish to discuss a health issue please ask to speak to the appropriate health professional.

As a school we welcome regular dialogue between parents and all staff on how a child’s day has been and we do actively encourage this continued feedback.


Children in school will get support that is specific to their individual needs. This will be provided by the class teacher in conjunction with any appropriate external service, for example:

  • Staff who will visit the school from the Local Authority central services such as the Sensory Services (for students with a hearing or visual need).
  • Staff who visit from outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service, Physiotherapy Occupational therapy.

What are the different types of support available for all children, children with SEN and /or disabilities in this school?

  • The Children attending the Livity School are those who require specialist input and therefore the majority enter the school with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).  This plan brings together in one document all of the educational health and social care needs that your child may have. The school must make its best endeavours to put in place the support identified in the plan. The progress your child makes with the support identified will be regularly reviewed and changed according to the progress your child makes.

Obtaining an EHCP  is a legal process and you can find full details about this in the Local Authority (LA) based Local Offer, Lambeth web site at

Types of support provided:

Class teacher input via good/outstanding classroom teaching.

  • The teacher will have the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • All teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Putting in place different ways of teaching so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This will involve things like using more practical sensory learning and could involve providing different resources adapted for your child.
  • Putting in place specific strategies (which may be suggested by the staff from outside agencies) to enable your child to access the learning tasks.  
  • This will include support from Teaching Assistants to help with your child’s learning and care.

All children in school receive this

Outreach Team or Sensory Services (for students with a hearing or visual need)

Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service, Occupational Therapy service, Physiotherapy and/or CAMHS School Nursing

  • The multidisciplinary team will plan with you interventions to support your child’s learning.  These interventions will have clear targets to measure their impact on your child.
  • Interventions will alter from child to child and at different times according to need. They may include small group work or individual sessions with professionals or trained class staff.
  • Where small group work / individual work is identified, professionals will provide targets or programmes, for each child, provide training for and monitoring of class staff who will who will carry through the work regularly.
  • You will always be involved in decisions about how the other professionals work with your child.
  • You will be provided with the contact details for any agencies or services outside the school that are or will be working with your child.
  • You will be informed and be an active partner in referrals and discussions with agencies and professionals providing a specific intervention.

As the pupils at The Livity School are those with severe and complex learning needs that are potentially lifelong the majority of pupils in the school receive input from professionals within the multi disciplinary team.

These needs are  usually identified in a child’s Education and Health Careplan

How will we support your child with identified SEND starting at school

  • The Livity School will receive your child’s EHCP from the LA SEN team. 
  • The Headteacher / SLT / Multidisciplinary team will consider if the school can meet your child’s specific needs and if a place is available.
  • If there is a possibility that The Livity School would be an appropriate school for your child, you will be invited to visit the school with your child to have a tour of the school and to speak to the Headteacher or a Senior Leader. 
  • The Livity School may need to spend some time with you and your child to effectively assess if The School could meet your child’s needs.
  • If it is felt that it would be an appropriate placement, The Livity School will inform the SEN department of the LA and Parent / Carers.
  • If other professionals are involved, a Multi Disciplinary Meeting will be held to discuss your child’s needs, share strategies used, and ensure provision is put in place before your child starts.
  • If your child is in Early years a Key person may make a home visit and also visit your child if they are attending another provision.
  • You will be asked to attend school with your child on their first day of school and you may need to stay longer to help your child settle in school and for our school staff to be trained in any specific needs your child may have. 
  • Following the settling in period, you will be able to meet with your child’s class teacher to review your child’s learning and progress.
  • The staff will then hold regular meetings in school to monitor the progress of your child and invite you into school to discuss their progress.

How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

  • If you have any concerns we recommend you speak to your child’s class teacher initially, and at the earliest opportunity.
  • If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and feel that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the Headteacher.
  • If you are still not happy you can speak to the Chair of Governors.

How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

  • The teacher will discuss your child’s progress with you at our parents’ evenings when you will be informed of your child’s progress and  the additional support being given.
  • Schools also have regular meetings between each class teacher and a senior staff member in the school to ensure all children are making good progress. This is another way your child may be identified as not making as much progress as expected, this will initially be addressed with the class team and reviewed by the senior teacher.
  • If your child is still not making expected progress the school will discuss with you
    • Any concerns you may have
    • Any further interventions or referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning
    • How we could work together, to support your child at home/school.
  • If you have raised a concern, the school will invite you in to discuss it and plan a way forward.

Who are the other people providing services to children with SEN in this school?

  1. Directly funded by the school
    • Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school
    • Additional  Physiotherapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school
    • Additional Occupational Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school
    • Educational Psychology
    • Movement therapy
    • Music Therapy
    • Parent Liaison Worker
    • Whippersnappers music / drama for early years
    • Skilled Teaching Assistants trained in Manual Handling
    • Advice on Duel Sensory Impairment from SENSE
    • Specialist dance tuition
  2. Paid for centrally by the Local Authority but delivered in school
    • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
    • Parent Partnership Service (to support families through the SEN processes and procedures).
    • CENMAC
  3. Provided and paid for by the Health Service
    • School Nurse
    • Speech and Language Therapy
    • Occupational Therapy
    • Physiotherapy
    • Dentist
  4. Voluntary agencies
    • Moving Matters – sports club
    • Create Arts Project

The contact details for the support services can be found on the school website and on the Lambeth Local Offer website

The Lambeth Local Offer Web site contains full information of the services available to children, young people and their families under the Lambeth Local Offer.

How are the adults in school helped to work with children with an SEND and what training do they have?

  • It is the job of the Headteacher and Senior Leadership team to support the class teachers in planning for children with SEN, however the whole of The Livity School is focused around meeting the needs of pupils with SEND.
  • The school has a school development plan, including identified training needs for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including specific specialisms within SEND. This includes whole school training/ focused group and individual training.
  • Whole staff training is used to disseminate knowledge, strategies and experience, to ensure consistency of the school’s approach for children with a SEND.
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class . e.g.  Communication system training,  Sensory service or medical /health training to support staff in implementing care plans.
  • Individual training for an identified staff member linked with the needs of a child with special educational needs and/or disabilities or identified through the school’s performance management process.

Training takes place on a regular basis. If you would like to hear about the training which is currently taking place or has taken place by the staff members in the school, please speak to the Headteacher.

How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

  • Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that learning tasks are adapted to enable your child to access their learning as independently as possible.
  • Specially trained support staff can implement the teachers planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually, and in groups and in the classroom so that they can learn most effectively, and where necessary to be included in the full life of the school. These will be included in your child’s learning support plan.
  • Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs and increase your child’s access to what is on offer.

How will we measure the progress of your child in school? And how will I know about this?

  • Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.
  • His/her progress is reviewed formally every term using The Early Years Developmental Journal for Nursery Reception, or PIVATS in KS1 & KS2  levels are recorded in core areas of The School’s Curriculum. (PIVATS record pupil attainment at pre National Curriculum Levels and enable the school to show small steps of progress for it’s children) These levels will be reported to you at Parents evenings and at Annual Review Meetings.
  • The progress of children with an EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults, including parents, involved with the child’s education.
  • A range of ways will be used to keep you informed, which may include:
    • Home/school contact book
    • Letters/certificates sent home
    • Additional meetings as required
    • Annual Reviews
    • Annual Reports

What support do we have for you as a parent of child with SEN/and or disabilities?

  • We would like you to talk to your child’s class teacher regularly so we know what they are doing at home and we can tell you about what we are doing in school.  This is to ensure that we are doing similar things to support them both at home and school and can share what is working in both places.
  • The Head teacher is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you by  the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
  • IEP’s will be reviewed with your involvement each term.
  • Home Learning will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.
  • A home/school contact book will be used to support communication with you.

In addition:

  • We regularly hold workshops for parents on a variety of topics, which are often suggested by parents. These can range from, using sign language and symbol communication, to toilet training and advice on direct payments.
  • We run a short induction programme for parents of pupils new to the school, to make them more aware what the school offers both them and their child.
  • Our parent liaison worker frequently organises events for parents where they can come have coffee and meet and discuss issues of their choice with other parents.
  • The IEP will include ideas for how you can support your child at home, following the discussion with you.
  • The external professionals involved with your child will be happy to meet with you on request.
  • Our termly newsletter often includes ideas of ways in which you can support your child with learning, and also has information / ideas suggested by parents which they have found useful.
  • We will be happy to consider any ideas in order to support your child.

How have we made this school physically accessible to children with SEND?

The Livity School is a Purpose built School which was opened in Spring 2013

  • All of the school is accessible to children with physical disability via ramps and lifts.
  • The school has two sensory rooms and two soft play rooms.
  • The school has a small, ceiling hoist accessible, hydrotherapy pool.
  • The school has either ceiling tracking hoists or mobile hoists throughout.
  • The school has a number of changing areas and disabled toilets.
  • Classrooms have sockets which enable pupils to control equipment via a switch.
  • All KS1 and KS2 classrooms have small sensory areas and also access to small terrace areas which are partially open to the elements.
  • The school has staff trained to suit children with a range of needs.
  • The specialised provisions provide space for the identified needs for children with these difficulties e.g. workstations for children with ASD.
  • The staff working in the specialised provisions are highly trained in these areas.

How will we support your child when they are leaving this school?  OR when moving on to another class?

We recognise that ‘moving on’ can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible. 

  • If your child is moving to another school at Year 6:
    • We meet with year 5 parents to explain the transition process during the Autumn term.
    • Our parent liaison worker will support parents to visit secondary provisions.
    • The school has a transition programme of work for those pupils in year 6, which involves all aspects of the topic “changes” and incorporates exploring the similarities and differences between school, including looking making a book about Livity and the new school, exploring the different uniform, staff and buildings. 
    • Known staff  will support pupils to visit the school they will be attending and we welcome visits from the receiving school staff.
    • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • When moving classes in school:
    • You will be invited to meet with the new teacher either before the move or at the start of the new term.
    • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance by the previous class teacher or a member of the Senior Leadership team.



Individual Education Plan


Education and Health Care Plan


Statement stage of the SEN Code of Practice

P Levels

Pre National Curriculum Performance Criteria


Performance Indicators for Value Added Target Setting


Special Educational Needs

SEN Code of Practice

The legal document that sets out the requirements for SEN


Special Educational Needs


Special Educational Needs and or Disabilities


Speech and Language Therapist


Occupational Therapist




Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service


Educational Psychologist


Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties


Severe learning Difficulties


Autistic Spectrum Disorder