Speech and language therapy
The speech and language therapy service work closely with the teaching and support staff, parents/carers and other professionals to:
- Assess new children referred to the service and review children whose needs have changed
- Provide advice and support on developing communication skills and eating/drinking skills
- Support with setting appropriate targets
- Model communication strategies in the classroom
- Advise on whole school approaches
- Provide training as needed for communication and eating/drinking skills
The speech and language therapy team promote “Total Communication” within the school, including the use of Makaton signing, picture symbols, photographs and objects to support children’s speech and language skills.
Each term they work with teaching staff to review children’s progress and how the child’s communication and feeding targets are integrated into the curriculum and the child’s day/week. Advice for parents/carers is available on request.