The Physiotherapy team works in partnership with the Livity School staff to ensure that children with a physical disability reach their full potential.
Physiotherapy programmes need to be implemented throughout the day and across the maximise opportunities for the child to actively participate in school life.
Who are we:
The Physiotherapy support and intervention for children at the Livity School is provide by Guy's and St Thomas' (GSTT) Community Health Services. The team is based at the Mary Sheridan Centre for Child Health in Lambeth.
The physiotherapists working within the Livity School are highly experienced in physiotherapy management of children with complex needs.
What we do:
- Complete specialist assessments to identify the child's physical abilities and strengths as well as difficulties. The physiotherapy assessment focuses on a child's postural, musculoskeletal and mobility needs.
- Provide a personalised physiotherapy programme to maintain/promote physical development and to manage the child's long term condition. The programme may include daily positioning in equipment to promote/maintain a child's level of function and mobility.
- Carry out assessments for specialist equipment required to assist with sitting, standing, walking and laying to manage the child's physical needs
- Assessment in the school based orthotic clinic if required.
- Training and education for school staff to enable staff to have the skills and abilities to implement the child's individual physiotherapy programme.
- Home visits for children living in Lambeth to support parents to implement the child's physiotherapy programme at home.
- Provide support to school regarding moving and handling required to carry out a child's therapy programme.
- Monitor the child's progress and amend the physiotherapy programme accordingly. This includes reviewing and adjusting equipment as needed.
- Meet with teachers to agree shared objectives for each child which are included into the child's Individual Education Plan.
- Regular liaison with Multiagency Team including hospital based specialist services to ensure a co-ordinated approach to the child's care.
- Attend annual health review for children known to the service.
How to contact us:
Parents and school staff can contact the Physiotherapists via the school or the Mary Sheridan Centre for Child Health on 0203 0494005 to discuss and questions about the child's physiotherapy needs.