Guidance for Parents taking Photographs and filming at School Productions
We, at times, stage a production or special event . We are sure some parents/carers would like to take photographs/videos of the production. As you know we have a policy in place with regards to the taking, making and use of images and you will have previously signed a consent form stating whether or not your child could be photographed.
If you wish to take photos at the production there is a strong possibility that other children will also be included within the picture.
At The Livity School we are happy for parents and carers to take photos and video of events for personal use but we request that these images are not distributed or put online. This is to protect all members of the community.
We all enjoy and treasure images of our family and friends; family events, holidays and events are moments we all like to capture in photos or on video. We now have the exciting dimension of adding our images and videos to our online social network, such as Facebook, YouTube and many other websites. This means that we can easily share our photos and video with family and friends.
Whilst this can be very useful to all of us we must ensure we protect and safeguard all children and staff, including those who do not want to have their images stored online.
Please be aware that parents are not permitted to take photographs or to make a video recording for anything other than their own personal use.
- Once posted and shared online any image or video can be copied and will stay online forever.
- Some children are at risk and MUST NOT have their image put online. Not all members of the community will know who they are.
- Some people do not want their images online for personal or religious reasons.
- Some children and staff may have a complex family background which means that sharing their image online can have unforeseen consequences.
- Therefore in order to keep all members of the community safe we must all ‘Think Before We Post’ Online.
The use of digital images and video
To comply with the Data Protection Act 1998, we need your permission before we can photograph or make recordings of your daughter / son.
We follow the following rules for any external use of digital images:
- If the pupil is named, we avoid using their photograph.
- If their photograph is used, we avoid naming the pupil.
Where showcasing examples of pupils work we only use their first names, rather than their full names.
If showcasing digital video work to an external audience, we take care to ensure that pupils aren't referred to by name on the video, and that pupils’ full names aren't given in credits at the end of the film.
Only images of pupils in suitable dress are used.
Staffs are not allowed to take photographs or videos on their personal equipment.
Examples of how digital photography and video may be used at school include:
- Your child being photographed (by the class teacher or teaching assistant) as part of a learning activity;
e.g. taking photos or a video of progress made by your child, as part of the learning record, and then sharing with their parent / guardian.
- Your child’s image being used for presentation purposes around the school;
e.g. in class or wider school wall displays or PowerPoint© presentations.
- Your child’s image being used in a presentation about the school and its work in order to share its good practice and celebrate its achievements, which is shown to other parents, schools or educators;
e.g. within a CDROM / DVD or a document sharing good practice; in our school prospectus or on our school website.
- In rare events, your child’s picture could appear in the media if a newspaper photographer or television film crew attends an event. The Livity School would contact you in advance of this to obtain specific permission.
If we, or you, actually wanted your child’s image linked to their name we would contact you separately for permission.